8.6.09

Swords, not sticks

Today I went shopping for a couple of new scabbards for my swords (I have a couple of nice ones I picked up many years ago, before I got to Vaggert). One of the perks of the new job is that I get to wear a sword now if I want, so I'm planning on it. (Constables just get issued a truncheon or cudgel, it's just a thin club really, and with the average constable's scant training that's probably best.) I spent too many years as a trader's guard I guess, I got used to wearing swords, so I need to get accustomed to it again. I've kept the swords in good shape but sadly neglected the scabbards; I'm soaking the leather in oil and hoping it can be saved.

I found a great set -bejeweled beauties, smooth dark leather, silver tip and brightwork - for "only" forty gold pieces. Hmmm, I think I'd rather eat the rest of the year. So I'm having two matching ones made, leather and wood and a few places where fancy work could go later. I bargained them down to eight silvers, not bad for custom work - and I get to eat this week after all.

No comments: