12.8.09

sunk, not treasure

The sunken boat investigation was a bit of a bust. It was a sort of big rowboat, used for local deliveries and such, and was sunk while moored at the dock.

The owner was talking with some customers, said he heard an explosion and saw smoke, and saw someone running away. He was sure it was a "rogue wizard" who sunk the boat with a fireball. If there really was a rogue wizard, he'd have better things to do than sink a small boat, but whatever. He is a bit of a whiner, but seems to know some people; enough to get Pergimtor to tell me to check into things.

The mooring line was still attached to the dock, so I convinced a passing army squad to help me pull the boat out of the water. They weren't too happy about it, and I had to show them my (ugly) badge of office and do some convincing, but then it only took a few minutes. We got a big rope around the back part and dragged it up on the nearby muddy bank.

The boat it had a scorched hole in the back - but the scorching was from the inside. I don't know what he was carrying, and he wouldn't say, but it looked like a clay pot filled with something (maybe spirits of wine or something) exploded inside the boat. In other words, Foolish Owner Error, though he's unlikely to admit it. So now I'm off to write a report to that effect.

Oh joy, reports. I can hardly contain my excitement.

No comments: